After a long day at work, you look forward to unwinding in bed. Bedrooms are designed keeping a specific purpose in mind, and your bedroom space should be conducive to providing you with the solace you need. Besides, a peaceful bedroom environment ensures you attain a good night’s sleep.
Having 8 hours of peaceful sleep gives you the rest you need for another gruelling day. Your sleeping experience should be comfortable, safe, and inviting. Moreover, a good night’s sleep keeps you healthy and fit. Apart from investing in a good bedroom theme and set-up, choosing the right mattress is important as well. The right mattress will let you focus on health, longevity, and complete peace of mind.
A] How to Choose the Best Bedsheets: Things To Consider
1. Thread Count
The thread count is the number of threads woven into a single inch of fabric. It indicates how coarse or fine the fabric is. A higher thread count indicates superior quality, but it might not necessarily guarantee comfort or softness. Why? Because some manufacturers may use silicone softeners to enrich them. These softeners are not durable and may wear off after the first wash.
While buying bedsheets, 100% cotton sheets are deemed the most comfortable. Pima cotton and Egyptian cotton can be good alternatives, and for affordability, polyester/percale blend is the best.
Everyone has their own preference when it comes to bedsheet material.
- Cotton bedsheets are one of the softest bedsheets. They also keep you cool during summer and warm during cold seasons. Plus, they are highly breathable.
- Percale cotton sheets, on the other hand, are made from fine threads woven tightly together. They are crisp & light against the skin and soft, durable and breathable.
If you are looking for high-quality bedsheets to match with your organic mattress, percale cotton sheets are probably the best bedsheets to buy. These sheets will ensure a comfortable sleep while keeping you away from harmful toxins and chemicals. Other materials such as flannel, sateen, and TENCEL are also available.
3. Get the Right Fit
The correct size also matters because if the sheets are loose, they may tangle around your legs while sleeping. And, if they are too tight, you may always have to struggle to tuck them under your mattress. Make sure to measure the depth of your mattress before making a purchase. Knowing the length, breadth, and depth of the mattress will save you the hassle of buying a new bedsheet.
While you may have a hypoallergenic mattress, it is still important to choose the right bedsheet to prevent allergies. Bed linen is either dyed or has different patterns printed on it to make it look attractive. Hence, it is essential to check if they are chemical-free and safe for your skin.
The weave and material of the fabric establish its breathability. A breathable bedsheet allows air to move around with ease while you sleep, ensuring you enjoy a cool & comfortable sleep sleep and remain sweat-free. To ensure the bedsheets are skin-friendly, choose the best bedsheet brand that guarantees top-level quality.
5. Consider the Weave
The weave refers to the texture of the bedsheet. It also influences the look, comfort, softness, and wrinkle-resistance of the bedding. You can consider three types of weave styles while buying bedsheets.
- Combed Cotton: To make these soft & strong sheets, a fine-toothed brush is used to comb the threads before spinning the fabric to get rid of shorter fibers.
- Sateen: Sateen weaves are made with spun yarns instead of filaments. They are crafted with a pattern of one yard over every three or four, giving it a rather silky feel.
- Percale: Percale consists of tightly woven threads that are durable and provide a cool & crisp feel.
6. Colour Fastness
Colour fastness is the ability of the fabric to withstand the daily rigours of water, direct sunlight, perspiration, and humidity. The colour of the bedsheet adds to its overall look. Hence, select a high-quality bedsheet that does not look dull after a few washes.
7. Determine Your Sleeping Needs
Do you prefer soft cotton or a silky satin feel against your skin while sleeping? Like this, you need to answer a few questions to determine your needs before purchasing a bedsheet.
- While sleeping, if you constantly feel hot, consider bedsheets that offer breathability and airflow to keep you cool at night.
- If you are easily chilled, more likely in winters, select a bedsheet for winter that will keep you warm & toasty without making you sweat.
- Textures can influence the look and feel of a bedsheet. So, if you want a super silky feel, sateen sheets are the best choice. However, for a crisper, cooler feel, cotton and percale cotton sheets are good choices as they provide light and breezy comfort.
8. Return Policy
Whether you buy bedsheets online or from a store, make it a point to check if they have a return policy. This makes it easier to return/exchange bedsheets if you don’t like them or if you have received a damaged/defective item. Several brands out there offer a return service in the case of any discrepancies within a stipulated time.
Check for certifications on the product labels or the packaging to verify its authenticity and credibility. Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS), and Oeko-Tex Standard 100 are some of the green certifications you will find on chemical-free bedsheets.
10. Plastic-Free Packaging
On several occasions, bed linen comes wrapped in single-use plastic packaging. This kind of packaging isn’t environment-friendly. Look for bedsheets that come in plastic-free or reduced amounts of packaging that causes little to no harm to the environment. Besides, plastic-free packaging is free from toxins & chemicals and can be reused or recycled.
Choosing the right bedsheet is as much important as it is selecting the right mattress. Although shopping for bedsheets is ultimately about personal preferences, we hope that the above tips have helped you to make up your mind.