Sleep is often an underrated factor when considering the health of people. A good night’s sleep helps start your day fresh and keeps you active for the day ahead. Without a proper 8 hours of sound sleep, your body does not get the desired rest to restore the energy required to function throughout the day. Hence, sleep is vital to keep your body healthy and fit.
The quality of your sleep also depends on the mattress you use. A high-quality mattress plays a more crucial role in sound sleep. Conversely, a cheap mattress can affect an individual’s health. Thus, let’s check how a good mattress makes a difference in your day-to-day life.
A] Importance of having the perfect mattress
The perks of having a good quality mattress are many. From providing good and comfortable sleep to decreasing stress and anxiety levels, a good mattress helps provide peaceful sleep, benefits the mind and body, and improves overall health.
Just as sleep is important for our health and wellness, so is the surface we sleep on.
- A seamless sleeping surface (like a mattress) provides good posture when we sleep, eventually protecting our back and neck.
- The human muscles and ligaments on the back and neck relax and rest themselves while sleeping. The ideal mattress ensures that the natural curve of the spine is maintained, and the rest of our body parts like our head, shoulders and hips are aligned, even as we turn while sleeping.
- A good mattress can make all the difference between a good night’s sleep and a sleepless night. It offers a unique blend of balance consisting of comfort and support.
In recent times, many people with no history of neck injuries or back problems are now complaining about back pain and sore neck. Here, using a cheap, low-quality or bad mattress is one of the primary reasons for that.
B] Which mattress should you buy?
By now, you know the importance of a good mattress. So, the question is; since a good mattress is essential for good sleep, which mattress should you buy, and why?
Until very recently, innerspring mattresses were the most popular type of mattress, followed by memory foam mattresses. But, with the rising awareness about the various ill-effects of these on general health and the environment, individuals are making wise choices and switching to eco-friendly options like aloha’s organic mattresses.
Natural latex mattresses are gaining popularity, especially among environmentally friendly and health-conscious individuals. Organic latex is 100% natural latex extracted from the rubber tree. It is completely natural and uses no pesticides whatsoever. It is also sustainable, so when you buy an organic natural latex mattress, you actually contribute towards saving the environment.
C] 10 reasons why you should never buy a cheap mattress
- 1. It causes back and neck pain: Neck pain and back pain are two of the most common ill-effects of buying a low-quality mattress. Sleeping on a cheap mattress shifts your body’s alignment, especially the back and neck posture. Using a cheap mattress won’t allow you to sleep peacefully and you will keep tossing and turning all night eventually resulting in incomplete sleep.
- 2. Unhealthy sleep environment may lead to allergies: Cheap mattresses make use of low-quality, chemically-treated materials, which could lead to issues like off-gassing. This could result in allergies, serious respiratory issues, cause stuffy/runny nose, headaches and skin rash, among others.
- 3. Increase in joint pain: Having a good quality mattress is especially important for old people. Since they have low body strength, they need good support from the base of the mattress, which a low-quality, sagging mattress can’t provide.
- 4. Lack of sleep may lead to weight gain: If you don’t get a good night’s sleep or are constantly disturbed while asleep, it could lead to hormonal imbalance. Here, the Leptin levels in your body may rise, resulting in you falling prey to binge-eating. Hence, on a weight-loss journey, sleep is considered as important as your diet and exercise. This is also true for your general health.
- 5. Overheating of the mattress: When you buy a cheap mattress, the lack of proper spring construction is a regular occurrence. This blocks the passage of the air and causes you to sweat while sleeping. Automatic temperature regulation is a factor to consider when buying a mattress, as it helps regulate the surrounding temperature, preventing overheating.
- 6. May lead to insomnia: Frequent disturbance, tossing and continuously turning, and inability to sleep because of the quality of your mattress might lead to sleep-related problems like insomnia. When you are asleep, your body needs to get sufficient rest to recharge for the next day, and getting 6+ hours of regular sleep is important to achieve that.
- 7. Growth of bugs and dust mites: With cheap mattresses, there is always the possibility of bacteria, mould and fungus. Other factors like accumulated dust and sweat also attract bed bugs, which could further disturb your sleep. So, re-consider if you are planning to invest in a cheap or low-quality mattress.
- 8. Lack of quality control: Most poor-quality mattresses do not go through quality checks. So, if you are planning to shell out money, it is not worth buying a low-quality mattress and risking your sleep and health.
- 9. No returns: Not only does a low-quality, sagging mattress not yield any return, but it might make you spend another fortune if they have broken springs or bedbugs in them. Hence, always choose wisely before making a decision.
- 10. Reduced life span: The minimum life span of an organic mattress is around 20 years. However, in the case of a low-quality mattress, there are no guarantees on the life span. As such, this is another drawback of cheap mattresses, which makes buying them a bad investment.
Buying a mattress is a big decision and it is important to take your time and explore all your options before making a decision. The trend from memory foam mattresses is quickly changing to more environmentally friendly options like organic and 100% natural latex mattresses.
Natural mattresses are not only comfortable and healthy but also sustainable. A good mattress can also enhance your sleep quality. Hence, stay away from cheap, low-quality mattresses, and instead pick a mattress that provides greater health and general benefits.