When it comes to an optimal bedroom environment, the mattress plays an important role. A good quality mattress will provide comfort and improve your overall well-being. A low-quality mattress, on the other hand, can not only impact your sleep but also your health. Below we have listed the top factors you need to consider while buying a new mattress. We have also listed the different types of mattresses available online. So, read through this mattress buying guide to make an informed decision.
A] Factors To Consider When Buying a New Mattress
- Comfort Level: Comfort is the most important thing to consider while purchasing a mattress. Buying an expensive mattress doesn’t guarantee you the best sleep. Likewise, a mattress made with toxic materials can hamper your health. As such, to buy the right mattress, check for its size, firmness, and durability and pick the comfiest mattress for yourself.
- Right Size: Mattress size differs from person to person and varies based on individual needs. If you want more space than a single mattress, opt for a double or queen size mattress. King-size mattresses are ideal for partners or those who have a master bedroom. While choosing the mattress size also note that the bigger the mattress, the more difficult it is to move it from one place to another.
- Chemical-free and Non-Toxic: Non-toxic and chemical-free mattresses are sustainable and biodegradable. Compared to toxic mattresses, a non-toxic mattress provides more breathability since the materials used to make them are natural. Natural latex mattresses, for example, dissipates heat and provides enhanced air circulation. These are not only beneficial for human health but also safeguards the environment.
- Firmness: For mattresses, different brands offer different levels of firmness. Always check the firmness since one brand’s ‘extra firm’ may be equivalent to another brand’s ‘medium-firm.’ So, research and read reviews to make an informed decision.
- Certification: This is another factor to consider when buying a mattress. Check for certifications like GOLS, OEKO-TEX certification and Eco-INSTITUTE certification. This indicates that a mattress is made with 100% natural latex rubber sans any toxic pollutants and harmful chemicals.
- Warranty and Returns: An extended warranty doesn’t necessarily indicate a longer lifespan. Most mattress companies online offer up to 15-20 years warranty along with their products. For most buyers, the warranty of a mattress is the most important deciding factor (besides the price). Some companies also offer a free trial for up to 100 days. So, check for the warranty and read through the returns policy to get the best value for your money.
- Biodegradable: It is estimated that around 1.6‐1.8 million mattresses are disposed of each year. That’s right! Thus, when you choose a mattress, opt for an organic latex mattress that will help reduce carbon footprints and protect the environment. A natural latex mattress is made from plant-based materials, which makes them eco-friendly. Most importantly, compared to traditional mattresses, mattresses produced from organic materials are biodegradable, which helps to significantly reduce the mattress dump.
B] Types Of Mattresses Available Online in India
- Organic Latex Mattress: The material used in natural latex foam mattresses are obtained by harvesting the sap from the rubber tree in a sustainable manner. The latex obtained from rubber trees have high elasticity and is used to make varied items, including mattresses, all over the world. Organic latex mattresses also have hypoallergenic properties. Moreover, they are naturally resistant to mildew, mould, and dust mites. Simply put, organic latex mattresses are not only comfy, but also offer health benefits while keeping the environment safe.
- Memory Foam Mattress: Memory foam mattresses, unlike regular polyfoam, responds to body heat, becoming softer and more accommodating. When a person lies down on memory foam, the material reacts to the body heat and gradually conforms to the shape of the body. But, the disadvantage of this is that the mattress tends to trap body heat, which may lead to discomfort. Thus, if you are looking for better air circulation in a mattress, then this is not an ideal option.
- Hybrid Mattress: This is a multi-layered bed made from a combination of memory foam, latex, or gel. Its inner structure, however, is made from steel coils. A hybrid mattress helps alleviate pressure while sleep. Also, the inner spring structure provides a firm feel.
- Orthopaedic Mattress: Orthopaedic mattresses are designed to provide maximum back & spine support and pain relief. This mattress is quite useful for people who suffer from back pain and have aches. They also help improve body posture and distributes body weight evenly to provide optimal support & comfort for the body.
Further reading: Different types of mattresses
C] Mattress Sizes Available in India
- Single: This mattress is a right choice for singles with less space and a low budget. In a single size bed, the width is around 36 inches, and the length can be around 72 to 78 inches.
- Double/Full: A double size mattress is 48 inches in length and 72-78 inches in width. It is a good option for couples and those who love the extra space.
- Queen: The dimensions of a queen size mattress are 60 inches in width and 72-78 inches in length. It is an excellent option for singles who have the budget and space to enjoy the luxury of sleeping in a large bed. It is also ideal for couples with children or pets.
- King: The dimensions of a king-size mattress are 72 inches in width and 72-78 inches in length. It is a perfect choice for families & couples with kids to sleep comfortably.
Consider the above factors while purchasing a mattress. Select the right size, check for firmness and comfort. Look at the certifications and warranty. Also, make sure it is non-toxic and chemical-free for greater health benefits.
We, at aloha organic mattress, offer you superior quality mattresses that are 100% non-toxic and chemical-free. Thus, browse through our wide range of mattresses and organic pillows that are designed for comfort while ensuring a healthy lifestyle.