Further reading: Benefits of Choosing the Right Mattress
A] Toxic Materials Found in Mattresses
It’s a fact that mattresses made with chemicals and toxic materials cause you harm. Whereas, the best mattress for health does more than improve the quality of your sleep. If you are wondering whether or not your current mattress is healthy, then here is what you should pay attention to when buying a new mattress.
- Comfort Level: Prolonged exposure to mattresses made with petroleum-based polyurethane foam can drastically impact your health. From autoimmune diseases to cancer and infertility to neurological disorders, it can cause a range of health issues.
- Chemical Off-Gassing: Chemical off-gassing is another major concern when using memory foam mattresses or mattresses made of polyurethane or other synthetics. Some of these mattresses may also contain flame retardants, formaldehyde, and benzene, which may lead to cancer, infertility or brain disorders. Continued exposure to these dangerous toxins can be harmful to you and your family.
- Pesticides: Most commercial mattresses are manufactured using conventional cotton, grown using harmful pesticides. Boric acid is the most commonly used pesticide on cotton, which is also added to mattresses to keep bugs and bacteria at bay. As much as you don’t want bed bugs sleeping with you, you wouldn’t want boric acid either, as overtime, exposure to these may lead to several respiratory, neurological, and developmental issues.
B] Can a Wrong Mattress Cause Health Problems?
Yes, it can! The warning signs of a wrong mattress aren’t always obvious. But, sleeping on a bad mattress can cause immense discomfort and back pain, resulting in poor sleep that can affect your mental & physical health. Poor sleep is connected to weak memory, lack of concentration, weakened immune system, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular diseases.
A good night’s sleep is essential for your body to relax and recover. Your body does too much work while you are asleep – from repairing tissues to removing toxins and building new pathways. This helps boost physical health, promotes emotional well-being and improves brain functioning.
Also, if a mattress fails to provide enough support or pressure relief to the body, it may result in aches and pains the next day, making you feel tired and grumpy. This may especially be a significant concern for individuals with chronic back pain.
C] Ill-effects of a Wrong Mattress
1. Poor Sleep: Tossing and turning in an attempt to get a comfortable sleep on an uncomfortable mattress is sure to result in poor sleep. Sleeping on a bad mattress can make you feel lethargic even after sleeping for seven to eight hours. Plus, it may lead to fitful sleep, which can leave you exhausted the next day, affecting your productivity.
2. Allergies: Mattresses that are too old can be extremely unhygienic and lead to allergies. It’s not the dust mites but their faecal matter that can cause allergies. Other elements like pollen, mildew, pet dander can also cause allergies. Thus, the longer you use the wrong mattress, the higher the chances of an allergic reaction.
3. Respiratory Irritation: The older your mattress, the more likely it is filled with dust and dirt with the possibility of it being home to germs and bacteria. The dust and dust mites residing in your mattress can cause asthma and other breathing problems. It can also cause skin diseases such as eczema.
4. Lower back pain: One of the most frequently asked questions is can a mattress cause back pain? The answer is yes! Choosing the wrong mattress usually cause pains & aches, generally in the lower back. A too soft or too hard mattress can also cause discomfort.
- If the mattress is too soft, it won’t provide the needed support to your body.
- If the mattress is too hard, it would put extra pressure on your arms, shoulders or tailbone, causing muscle tension and joint soreness.
5. Hygiene Issues: Most individuals sweat at night during sleep, losing up to a quarter of liquid. This gets absorbed by and collected within the mattress and could lead to moulds, which may cause several health issues. A mattress protector can temporarily solve this problem. But, a new premium mattress would work better.
D] Benefits of Organic Mattresses
- Natural Material: Organic mattresses are made from 100% natural materials. They are free from pesticides, bleach, and other harmful chemicals. The core is made of natural latex, which is a healthier option. It offers enhanced support and pressure point relief. It also doesn’t trap body heat and provides enhanced air circulation that helps keep the body cool while sleeping.
- Hypo-allergenic Properties: Organic latex mattresses are also naturally resistant to mould, mildew, and dust mites. This allows individuals to sleep soundly without having to worry about allergic reactions.
- Comfort and Great Support: Natural latex foam creates a soft yet firm sleeping surface that provides greater support to the body. Due to a high degree of elasticity, latex can comfortably adapt to any body type. This feature creates a comfortable and safe environment suitable for deep and restful sleep.
- Certifications: Some natural latex mattresses contain blended latex (includes fillers) and some don’t use certified organic wool as a fire barrier. Hence, these can’t be considered organic or eco-friendly. To buy genuine organic mattresses online in India, check for certifications like GOLS certification, Eco-INSTITUTE certification and OEKO-TEX certification.
The symptoms of sleeping on a bad mattress include fitful sleep, waking up feeling tired, aches & pains, allergies, sniffles, joint sores, among others. Old mattresses can also affect your health. Additionally, a bad mattress should lead to back pain since it doesn’t provide optimal support. To counter all these ill-effects of a low-quality mattress, investing in a premium natural latex mattress is essential. These mattresses are good for health and can help enhance your sleep, improving your health and productivity.